Problem registering with RHN

hunger hunger at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 13 00:42:45 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have done a clean install of Fedora Core 1, and I have registered an
account with RHN.  But, when I click on the "Red Hat Network Alert
Notification Tool" (the blue circle with the white check mark located in
the bottom right hand corner of my desktop screen), it opens up a window
with the "Critical Information" tab highlighted, with the following
text:

"The applet has been unable to access the following information sources
in its last attempts: fedora-core-1 @
http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-1, updates-released @
http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-1"

Why is this problem occurring?  Why can't the applet access these
sources?

Also, when I log in to https://rhn.redhat.com with my account, it shows
that my system is not subscribed with any channels.  Under the "Base
Channel" it says "(none)".  And, I tried to subscribe my system to a
channel (presumably the Fedora Core 1 channel), but it doesn't allow me
to make this action.

In addition, I noticed that it says "Auto Errata Update only available
for paying accounts".  So, does this mean that I must pay in order to
receive Fedora Core 1 updates via up2date?

I used to use RHN with my Red Hat 9 system, and I didn't have to pay a
dime.  Is the policy changed now with Fedora Core 1?  Or, what am I
doing wrong that I cannot seem to get my up2date tool working
correctly?  Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.