SMB problem with RH9?

James C. Bevier jim at jbsys.com
Thu Nov 13 04:02:13 UTC 2003

I have install FC1 and have a RH 9 gateway and another RH9
system.  I can do "smbclient -L system2" and get a Password
request immediately.  The same is true with two windows boxes
on the local network (192.168.1.?).  But if I go to the gateway
machine "smbclient -L gateway" there is a 3 minute 15 second
delay before I get the Password prompt.  This same system worked
with RH 9 install as well as SuSe 9.  There is nothing in either
system's logs to point me anywhere.  Anybody have any ideas?
Ping, traceroute, etc all work fine.  Smbclient also works from
the other systems to the FC1 system.