is fedora for me ?

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Thu Nov 13 10:59:37 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 10:13, John Walsh wrote:
> >| As a current RedHat Linux 9.0 user - I'm wondering if Fedora is the
> >| replacement for me ?
> >|

> >Yes, it is.  FC1 could be considered "RedHat 10" for all intents and
> >purposes.  The community-driven aspect of the project is just getting
> >ramped up and (I'm suspecting) we won't see how it will fully work until
> >FC2 or 3.
>
> OK, thats clear, thanks.
>
> The release version is still a 0.9* - so what state would you say the
> overall
> project/system (from a users point of view) is in ?
>
> Should I expect a clean install with no problems, or are there still a few
> glitches to work out ?
>
> I'm happy to give it a go and send you feedback. I'm also happy to wait
> until a 1.0 release if thats when it becomes 'stable'.

I believe your information is out of date, FedoraCore is now at 1, and
is no longer in testing.

The user experience is, in my opinion a better one then in RH 7/8, and
on par with RH9 (but better).

As has been stated, this is essentially RedHat 10.

> >If there's a Linux Users' Group near where you're living, I'd suggest
> >joining up.  Knowledgable users are always helpful at Install Fests.
> >*grin*
>
> Any web sites list these groups ?

Buy one of your local Linux mags (linux format), they have loads of them
on the back pages. the other Option is to check the web for "LUG's",
Linux User Groups, as they seem to be called.

<snip>

> Aside:
>
> My brother is not a techie, and has only been using a PC for around 1 year,
> with Windows XP... He's so fed up with all the crap he keeps getting from
> the internet, he's asking me if he can switch to Linux.
>
> I'm not sure Fedora is ready for him yet, but as it settles down, he is the
> sort
> of user I would like to see being able to use Linux...

This is going to depend one what your brother is going to want to do. If
he is happy to just surf the net, use email, word processing ETC. Then
he should be fairly okay with it as it stands.

Some work will be needed to get MP3 support, but nothing extensive.

If he wishes to play windows games, then things get harder.

You could try installing it for him now and see what he thinks.

<big snip>

Doug