impotent RHN tool?

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu Nov 13 16:42:19 UTC 2003

On Thursday 13 November 2003 08:07, Marc Williams wrote:
> Am I correct in assuming that the RHN Alert Notification Tool is
> worthless except that it provides an easy GUI method of launching
> up2date?  If so, are there plans to make it work?
>
> I received an announcement for a pstack update via the fedora-announce
> list but my Alert tool never did notify me.  If there's any good news in
> this it's that up2date functioned as expected in actually retrieving and
> installing the pstack update.

The current rhn-applet does not handle redirections (known problem reported in
bugzilla).

You can get around this until it is fixed by changing the definitions in
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources to the redirected URL.

For example,  http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-1 becomes
http://download.fedora.redhat.com:/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386

You can use lftp to check for the resolutions of the other URLs.
--
Gene