Mature enough to upgrade already?

Jan Houtsma list at houtsma.net
Thu Nov 13 22:36:19 UTC 2003

Hello,

At a school we have a server running RH9. I wonder if it is smart to move to
Fedora already in this early stage?

I want a perfect, errorless, smoothless upgrade procedure from RH9 ->
Fedora.
Is this the case already or still in developement?

Can i just download the ISOs and run them as an upgrade to RH9?

I have the following packages which are essential about which i wonder if i
can expect problems after upgrading:

 1) apache with php, perl and cgi-bin and ssl certificates for https.
 2) squid caching proxy
 3) squidGuard
 4) samba
 5) squirrelmail
 6) phpbb 2.0.6
 7) webCalendar v0.9.42
 8) qmail with procmail
 9) spamassassin
10) named
11) dhcpcd
12) dhcpd
13) sshd
14) ntpd

This server is a NAT router as well for the internal school network.

Will an upgrade be smoothless and packages replaced by newer ones retaining
my config files and adding .rpmsave and .rpmnew files on my filesystem like
redhat did?
Is it really all the same like it would look like an upgrade to RH10 or can
i better wait until april when RH support stops?

up2date will also work like before?

Thanks,
--
Jan