unable to connect (ppoe and wireless)

brian connolly bconnolly at ameritech.net
Fri Nov 14 13:56:29 UTC 2003

Greetings.  I am a newbie.  I am just setting up Fedora Core and cannot
connect to the net.

1. I have dsl that requires a user-password.  When using Knoppox (with PPOE)
through the NIC card, it sets up fine.  So I googled and found a PPOE fix (I
think): http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/rp-pppoe/#req .

Can some please confirm that this is indeed a fix?  Can someone please (in
plain English) tell me how to install it in Fedora Core?

2. Also, rather than the NIC card, the hot setup would be to use my wireless
card (Linksys WPC11 ver. 4).  Linksys doesn't have drivers for this card but
Realtek the chipset maker does.  However, according to Realtek "But if their
VID and DID are not 10EC and 8180, you should modify PCI device table of
r8180_pci_init.c first and then recompile it again."

Can someone translate this in simple terms as it relates to Fedora Core?

Thank in advance.

Brian Connolly

Chicago