using any ethernet device freezes my configuration

Bill Beeman bbeeman at beemangroup.com
Sat Nov 15 00:46:25 UTC 2003

> From: Chris Hipp
>
> After trying three different ethernet card with my computer and fedora
> (one belkin reltek 8139too.o based, and two tulip based (linksys and
> netgear)) I've come to the conclusion that using any ethernet card, as
> soon as the card is pinged, hard freezes my computer, forcing
> a press of
> the reset button.
>
> I have graphical boot disabled and this configuration worked fine in
> redhat 9.0.
>
> Is there anyway I can debug this to find out what the problem is and
> file a more useful bug than "ethernet breaks my configuration"?

Your symptoms are different than I had, but there have been a number of
issues reported involving kudzu and ethernet cards.  You might take a
look
at Bugzilla 107389.

You could try disabling kudzu (chkconfig --level 35 kudzu off) and see
if that helps.  The initial report, and my case involved 3Com cards, but
there have been other mentions of kudzu related wierdness also.

Bill