2 Gb File Size Limit ?

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Sat Nov 15 01:54:47 UTC 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:30:53 -0600, Kevin Krieser wrote:

> The issue is that, for years, the basic APIs for fileaccess was based on a
> signed long int for file offset, limiting files to 2GB.  When 40MB, or even
> 400MB hard drives were common, this wasn't a big issue.  When 4GB hard
> drives, and larger, started to become prevalent, workarounds had to be
> devised.  Less efficient, since 64bit values aren't a basic type.  Also,
> programs had to be reviewed and revised to ensure that file offsets weren't
> being done in 32 bit integers.
>
> Of course, for many programs, it was just a special recompile against a new
> glibc.  For instance, if all you do is read sequentially, there probably
> isn't a problem.

The original poster wrote:

: Can anyone tell me if Fedora will have a 2 Gb file size limit ?  I am
: trying to copy a VMWare image from a DVD to my home dir (got plenty of
: space) and it stops with a IO Error at about 2 Gb.  Wanted to know if its
: a limit of the OS/File System because I can copy the file fine in Windows.

That should be the basis for any replies. Since details are missing, it
should be asked what file-systems and applications are involved. The 2.4.x
kernel and ext3 fs are not limited to 2 GiB.