using any ethernet device freezes my configuration

Chris Hipp fedora at christoph.msbx.net
Sat Nov 15 02:26:31 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 19:46, Bill Beeman wrote:
> > From: Chris Hipp
> >
> > After trying three different ethernet card with my computer and fedora
> > (one belkin reltek 8139too.o based, and two tulip based (linksys and
> > netgear)) I've come to the conclusion that using any ethernet card, as
> > soon as the card is pinged, hard freezes my computer, forcing
> > a press of
> > the reset button.
> >
> > I have graphical boot disabled and this configuration worked fine in
> > redhat 9.0.
> >
> > Is there anyway I can debug this to find out what the problem is and
> > file a more useful bug than "ethernet breaks my configuration"?
>
> Your symptoms are different than I had, but there have been a number of
> issues reported involving kudzu and ethernet cards.  You might take a
> look
> at Bugzilla 107389.
>
> You could try disabling kudzu (chkconfig --level 35 kudzu off) and see
> if that helps.  The initial report, and my case involved 3Com cards, but
> there have been other mentions of kudzu related wierdness also.
>
> Bill
I already had kudzu turned off, I don't like to wait during startup (and
I've had to restart a lot recently due to this problem.)  After reading
that bug I am going to try to downgrade to the redhat 9 errata kernel, I
imagine that will solve my problem though I am still curious what the
problem is.

Thanks,
Chris