[r]wall problems

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Sat Nov 15 04:48:09 UTC 2003

I'm having a couple of problems with wall and rwall that did not exist
on Red Hat 9.  Since I don't know if they're real bugs or just config
problems, I thought that I'd ask here before bugzilla'ing them.

1.  wall messages do not appear in text consoles (virtual terminals),
     even when sent by root.  Upon further experimentation, the messages
     don't show up in Gnome sessions either.  KDE sessions appear to be
     the only places that the messages appear.

2.  wall messages sent by 'nobody' don't appear anywhere.  Since the
     rwall server uses this UID, this makes it useless.

I don't know if these two problems are related.

Anyone know why this would change from Red Hat 9?

Thanks!
Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net