mozilla stopped working

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Sat Nov 15 16:12:20 UTC 2003

Matt Temple wrote:

> M.Hockings wrote:
>
>> I must admit that I don't know at what stage mozilla has stopped as I
>> was doing a number of things with this one machine yesterday.
>> However now when I click on the mozilla startup icon at the bottom of
>> the screen it appears to begin to start but then just ends without
>> any messages displayed.  Is there a way to determine why mozilla is
>> not starting, then I might have a hope about fixing it.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> --
>

> I had something similar happen because of an incorrect link
> in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory.   Incorrect link was
> to the java/sdk.   Similar phenomenon -- Mozilla would appear to
> start then disappear.   The correct links are in some of the Mozilla
> release notes.
>
>                         mht

I looked in that directory and all that is there is mozplugger.so.
Renaming it or rmoving it made no difference.

If I go to a command line and type "mozilla" (sans quotes) I get the
command prompt back right away with no error messages.  "which mozilla"
reports "/usr/bin/mozilla"  and if I try "mozilla -mail" I get
"Segmentation fault".

Could it be that normal running is hitting this segmentation fault,
absorbing the error and ending.  How can I re-install mozilla?  I have
tried using the package manager gui to uninstall it so that I could
re-install it but it tells me that I need a bunch of dependencies or
something to uninstall (don't quite understand that).

The machine is at the current FC1 level by using up2date.

Mike