segfaults with gnome apps

Jonathan Marc Bearak jonathanbearak at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 20:46:33 UTC 2003

I've been having segfault problems with gnome apps.  First, I couldn't
log into gnome.  The error message stated that gconfd had crashed.
Gnome startup froze with the metacity icon shown in the splash screen.
Removing temp files and .gconf did nothing.  To be able to log in again,
I had to:
yum remove gnome-desktop
and then
yum install [all the stuff it removed].
After this, I was able to login to gnome.  A few minutes later, I tried
to open a terminal window.  Segfault.  rpm -e gnome-terminal, yum
install gnome-terminal.  Then it worked.  I remember reading somewhere
(possibly on this list, not sure) about prelinking causing random
segfaults.  Could prelinking be the cause of these errors?