SOund Problem Continues

Eric Beyer lnxfrk at samdog.net
Sun Nov 16 00:22:22 UTC 2003

From: "Dark Elf" <anindya_kumar_biswas at yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 6:53 AM

> OK here is what I tried to make my sound card to work.
>
> 1. Fedora detects my soundcard as i810
Same here on a my P4P800

> 2. in the sound play test there is nothing
Same issue

> 3. I tried to install alsa. compiled it. and when i
> tried alsaconf to set it up for me it failed to load
> alsa service i think. it somehow could not load the
> sound modules.
I experienced this same issue last night and it was because snd.o wouldn't
properly load. Here are the resources I used to get past the issue.

I followed the instructions on
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=Analog+Devices&card=AD1985&chip=AD1985&module=intel8x0
up to the point it does a 'make' (just after
./configure --with-cards=intel8x0 --with-sequencer=yes).

As the following page suggests do: touch include/linux/workqueue.h

http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg09428.html

Now go ahead and make/make install and continue with building the libs and
utils

> 4. then I thought of installing OSS the commertial one
> to see if it works there. As again it said some snd
> some crap not compiled in the kernel.

Probably said that a sound module is already loaded since most likely the
i810 one was detected. The commercial one works just fine. I was having
issues with choppy sound with the ALSA driver with Quake 3 and I used the
commercial one to see if it worked.. It did work fine and fix the issue with
Q3...

> I have an asus p4p800-vm main board with onboard sound
> card. I am troubled. As this pc is new and i havew all
> my movies and mp3s oggs in my local hard drive which
> is under reiserfs. I need to play them can anyone help
The steps above should get you past the sound card issue. As for mp3 on
Fedora you still have a ways to go... See the following site for more
details.
http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/

HTH