[OT] Linux leaders offer education discount

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 16 09:14:36 UTC 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Peter Boy wrote:

> Am So, den 16.11.2003 schrieb Robert P. J. Day um 09:18:
> >   but further down in the article, it states that:
> >
> >   "Red Hat Academic Desktop will be based on the RHEL WS product, while
> > Red Hat Academic Server will be based on RHEL ES, he said."
> >
> >   if that's the case, how many students are going to be interested
> > in the more stable but certainly older technology of RHEL on their
> > desktop?  to which release of RH does RHEL currently correspond?
> OK, maybe not the students, but their teachers?  :-)
>
> There are a lot of colleagues of mine who are happily using quite old
> versions of Red Hat or SuSE or Mandrake, some are even using debian :-)
>
> Most important: there is a choice! Fedora or RHEL for the desktop. And
> even more important: we will be able to afford our servers with Red Hat

oh, i never meant to suggest that an RHEL-based desktop distro wouldn't
be usable.  but you and i all know how students think -- bleeding edge,
the latest and greatest, etc.

i was just struck by how the product was advertised up front as the
Red Hat Academic Desktop", but you had to read further down to note
that it was based on RHEL.  having worked with RH distros for quite some
time, i'd never *heard* of the "academic desktop" product, and my
immediate reaction was, "ok, what's under the hood?"

as soon as i saw "RHEL", its appeal lessened considerably for me.
but i'm willing to hear opposing points of view.

rday