Browsing a Windows shared directory?

Eric Barnes ebarnes at rationalsystemsupport.com
Sun Nov 16 16:40:03 UTC 2003

Try smbclient -L [ip address of host] -U [valid user name on host] to
get a list of shares on (B).  If you don't get anywhere, then you may
need to edit /etc/smb.conf.

If you do get a list of shares, then try:

mount -t smbfs //[server name]/[share name] [directory to mount to]

For instance, let's say your (B) box is called windoze and it has a
share called home.  You'd create a directory on your Linux box ( usually
in the /mnt directory) called /mnt/here.  Your mount command would be

mount -t smbfs //windoze/home /mnt/here

If everything goes well, you should be able to run a directory of
/mnt/here and see you're windows files.

Let me know if you need more help.

Good luck.