Ethernet card stops working after upgrade to FC1

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sun Nov 16 17:44:33 UTC 2003

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> It may of course be pure coincidence, but I have just upgraded one of
> my systems from RH9 to FC1, and my ethernet card has stopped working.
>
> Could it be a coincidental hardware problem, or is it a software problem?
> Here is the output from dmesg:
>

> PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0a.0

I qam wondering if IRQ 10 was messed around with Kudzu probing this card.

> 3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
> See Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
> 00:0a.0: 3Com PCI 3c900 Boomerang 10Mbps Combo at 0xd000. Vers LK1.1.18-ac

I heard that disabling kudzu during initial bootup will allow your
ethernet card to work properly. I have a similar card, but did not
reinstall it back into the machine.

The last time that I tried the card, it fouled up a lot of programs with
the faulty driver. My boomerang was recognized as a cyclone and would
not work.

Anyway, from what I heard. It is kudzu leaving the card in an incorrect
state. After the card is probed, it does not function properly. If it
was not probed by kudzu, reports have it that it works normally.

I thought that it was caused by the incorrect driver being used for the
card. I don't know if the driver is failed or Kudzu is fouling up the
state of the card on exit. This card seems to be pretty popular though.

As stated earlier, there are various bugs filed on this card for RHEL,
Severn Betas and probably Fedora Core.

If you run dhclient from a root terminal, does your card get an address?
Mine got the address, but worked incorrectly. Mozilla, GNOME and a few
other progams would fail to work.

Jim

--
You have an unusual equipment for success.  Be sure to use it properly.