Fedora Release 1 - console display problem

Chiu, PCM (Peter) P.C.M.Chiu at rl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 08:53:44 UTC 2003

Having mounted Fedora on an AMD Athlon system with integrated S3 graphics,
I came across a problem in using the newly installed system on the console
in graphics mode.
Right click on the screen gives a rectangular block with some dots instead
of texts showing
the options.   Still if I select the second dot, it fires up a terminal
session on the screen.

I tried using redhat-config-xfree86 but the display also exhibits similar
problems, ie. the tabs
and options are shown as dots, making selection rather difficult.

I reinstalled Fedora on the same box, but selected "everything" to the
package selection prompt.
Now, the system is behaving properly, with all the display options showing
as they should be.

Any idea what could be missing?

Peter