Monitor services

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Mon Nov 17 13:04:43 UTC 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, John Hearns wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, John Dean wrote:
>
> > Is there a program in that comes with fedora to monitor services and mail me when one goes down?
>
> Ooooohhhhhh.... that's a big question.
>
> The standard answer id to look at Nagios and Opennms
> http://www.nagios.org http://www.opennms.org
>
> Then again, for one machine these may be overkill.
> You could Cheops which does monitoring
> http://www.marko.net/cheops/
> You can get it to ping (http, DNS,...) every (say) hour
> and trigger an action which will email you.
>
> Plenty of other utilities out there for network monitoring -
> just go to Freshmeat and search.

Webmin (http://www.webmin.com) is a great administration tool, and has a
built-in monitor which can alert you when services go down, and also when
they come back up, if you so desire.  I'm using it to page me when
services go down on my server.

I don't know if there's a Fedora-specific version yet...it's a perl
system, but has all kinds of "knowledge" of various unix and linux
distributions.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit