Fedora as production server OS

Mike Chambers mike at netlyncs.com
Mon Nov 17 13:43:16 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 03:08, Rickard Svoren wrote:

> I can see in the fedora mailing list that a lot of people seems to use
> fedora for desktops and
> i am a bit courious if someone has started using fedora for example on an
> high volume
> mailserver (10000 users +) ?

Fedora is just like Red Hat Linux (RH 7,8,9), as far as containing
server programs and doing all that stuff.  Still about the same
functionality.  It's just being developed a little differently, mainly
using upstream packages for security fixes (instead of just repackaging
for one fix) and updates, and eventually allowing outside folks (non-Red
Hat employees) to maintain packages instead (spread the wealth if you
will). (This is just how it works and tech side, nothing to do with the
other parts).

Not sure how that is worded but hopefully it helps.

> Is Fedora intended for such use or only for developers/ beta testers ?

It's for everyone that wants to use it, just like RH 6,7,8,9.  Is the
release cycles shorter?  Some of the time.  Will it contain more
bleeding edge type stuff than before?  Sometimes.  Is it supported via
phone, web and those type services?  No.  Will it get fixes via up2date
and such?  Yes.  How long will it get updates even if 2 or more cycles
have went through?  Who knows.  RH 6 or 7 still get updates to this day,
so no telling.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY