OT: Thoughts LVM usage.

WipeOut wipe_out at onetel.com
Mon Nov 17 20:58:59 UTC 2003

I have been playing around with LVM and it seems that using LVM for / is
not such a hot idea.. :)

I could not work out how to extend the / filesystem after I extended the
LV containing / .. It wanted the  / partition dismounted before it would
extend the filesystem.. I tried to do this by booting CD 1 in rescue
mode and the trying to extend the filesystem using resize2fs which
simply gave me the error saying it would not extend..

So the question is has anyone using LVM ever extended their LV that
contained the / partition??

As a guideline is it NOT recommended to put / into LVM but rather keep /
out and simply create LV's for /home, /var and any other data storage
locations??

Thanks for your thoughts..

Later..