Do we know what happened?

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Mon Nov 17 21:00:55 UTC 2003

On Monday 17 November 2003 14:13, Thomas DuVally wrote:
> I know about the bug and how to fix the problem with the fedora
> repository, but has there been any official word about what happened?
>
> I've looked through the archive over the fast few days and only see the
> complaints and the fixes.
>
> It would be nice to know what and why, especially since I've been trying
> to generate a little good word.  I don't like having to say, "Oh yeah,
> great desktop system, but you need to edit these really confusing
> looking files first."

I do not work for Red Hat so this is still not an offical response.

Apparent, someone at Red Hat deleted the redirects on http://fedora.redhat.com
(actually, the save systems as http://www.redhat.com so it needs to redirect
because of loading).  These redirects are not back in place and you do not
need to modify /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.

However, there is an update to rhn-applet available but you will not see it if
you wait for an "updates available" "red-bang" indication.  If you run
up2date, it will be seen (along with any other updates not yet applied).
Once you get the rhn-applet package update installed, it will follow the
redirects and indicate when packages are available [this was just
demonstrated to me with the sed update available on update-test].
--
Gene