OT: reply to posts with "no mail" option set

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Nov 17 22:40:30 UTC 2003

At 11:09 11/17/2003, you wrote:
>As the systems administrator for my company, I would have a hard time
>with users just bringing in PCs and setting them up on my network. [...]
>So please Rodolfo, before you make suggestions like these,
>think them through from the SysAdmin side of things. If his company has
>a similar policy, he could be fired for setting up a PC like that. With
>all the issues with hackers, viruses, et al, companies are having zero
>tolerance for things like this.

<rant>
Oh so many things come to mind, but let me make a few points:

         1. Companies need to realize which issues are truly important and
which are not. Firing a valuable employee for bringing in a personal
computer is, IMNSHO, asinine. This is not a "zero tolerance" issue, and if
it is, the company has either the wrong management or the wrong sysadmin
because it WILL lose competitive advantage to others who manage their human
resources better.

         2. In a technically-minded community such as this, it is the
user's (read: the poster's) responsibility to honor his/her moral code,
prevailing social mores, company policy, national constitution, and
Planetary Federation Starship regulations if and how he/she damned well
sees fit. If my suggestion appealed to the OP, it was his (her?)
responsibility to go check whether that was permitted/recommended/whatever.
If the OP then chooses to blow up the office out of frustration with the
company's Notes server, that is also his/her own damned problem.

         3. I have been on this list AFAIK almost as long as it has
existed, and I also participate actively in other fora. In all that time,
this is the FIRST TIME someone has chewed me out for trying to help a
fellow human being. What does that say about you?

Suggesting that I am going to be responsible for someone losing their job
is simply out of line... I'll keep the rest of my response to myself since
there are ladies here as well. Good Christ, whose systems do you admin: the
KBG's? Sheesh...
</rant>

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz