KDE 3.1.93 for Fedora spotted

Mike m_masi at cox.net
Tue Nov 18 20:02:47 UTC 2003

Rob Park wrote:
> Mike Chambers wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 23:12, Dave Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> Most KDE mirrors dont have it yet....its pretty fresh. I am dl'ing it
>>> now to give it a try.
>>

>> Fedora Core 1 already contains 3.1.4, doesn't it?
>

> "3.1.93", I believe, could be more accurately described as "3.2 release
> candidate 1".
>

> --

Just a heads up for the brave souls who are going to give this a shot,
upgrading to 3.1.93 from the stock KDE breaks some stuff (not
surprisingly).

I installed the packages on a basically clean setup of Core 1, and the
menu entries got slightly screwed up, various KDE apps crash randomly,
and for some reason any OpenGL-based program (tuxracer, celestia, etc)
crash immediately.  Additionally, the repository does not offer any
yum/apt headers (as I write this) so you'll have to do some command-line
RPM finagling for everything to work.

In spite of all that, I must say I'm quite impressed with the new
version.  Lots of little improvements to the UI as well as a slightly
snappier responsiveness make it worth the hassles (at least for us
bleeding-edge fetishists :)

Mike