Re failed upgrade though 30GB disk space (Vol 1 #289)

Terry Cole sdoradus at maths.otago.ac.nz
Tue Nov 18 11:33:41 UTC 2003

Dear List,

fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

>Today's Topics:
>
>   1. failed upgrade lack of hard disk space (Mark Loatman)
>
>--__--__--
>
>Message: 1
>From: "Mark Loatman" <mloa727 at hotmail.com>
>To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>Subject: failed upgrade lack of hard disk space
>Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:36:31 -0500
>

>I am trying to upgrade to fedora from redhat 9.  When it transfers the image
>to the hard disk, during the upgrade, it tells me the hard disk is out of
>space.  There is 30gb of free space on the machine.  Has anyone else had to
>deal with this issue?

I have bad news.  Lately I have met that message around three times.
Each time it has meant that the target partition has bad blocks.

The facility to check for bad blocks during installation formatting
seems to have disappeared. But you can boot CD1 in rescue mode ("linux
rescue") and check your hard disk with "badblocks".

Regards, TC

--
Terry Cole	BA/BSc/BE/BA(hons)	(tcole at maths.otago.ac.nz)
System Administrator, Dept. of Maths. & Stats., Otago Uni.