Java 1.3.1, NPTL kernel

Hugh McGuirk hugh.mcguirk at propylon.com
Tue Nov 18 12:28:32 UTC 2003

I am evaluating Fedora, and i read somewhere the NPTL kernel implemented
by Redhat was incompatible with Sun's JDK earlier than 1.4.2.

I plan to use Fedora for development, but we have projects that must
work with JDK 1.3.1

I have been getting strange compile errors:
"compiler message file broken:
key=compiler.err.sun.io.MalformedInputException arguments=null, null,
null, null, null, null, null

I found a fix to this was simply to change the locale:
In /etc/sysconfig/i18n ,the line
LANG="en_GB.UTF8"
to:
LANG="en_GB."

Will the above cause any other issues?

What other incompatibilities should i expect between Java1.3.1 and a
NPTL kernel?

Has anyone else come across problems with the JDK 1.3.1 or otherwise
compiling/running under Fedora?

Thanks,

--
Hugh McGuirk <hugh.mcguirk at propylon.com>