i know its been discussed, but...

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Wed Nov 19 01:51:51 UTC 2003

which start menu? KDE or gnome??

if Gnome.. (This is RH9 specific but _should_ work in FC1)

Menu-editing in RedHat 9

    * To enable menu editing per user config (via nautilus), you need to
open a terminal and do the following:

      su -
      <give root password>
      cd /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules
      cp default-modules.conf default-modules.conf-no-menu-editing
      cp default-modules.conf.with-menu-editing default-modules.conf

      For any user you want to have the right to edit their menu, you also
need to do this as the user:

      cd ~/.gnome2/vfolders
      cp /etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu applications.vfolder-info
    * When gnome-panel is restarted (via logout/login or kill) the user will
be able to see the changes they have made to their menu.