mouse problem

Scott Burns scott at mirrabooka.com
Wed Nov 19 06:18:51 UTC 2003

Fotios Nastos wrote:

>Hi.  I am trying to resolve a mouse problem (optical mouse exhibiting slowly
>drifting cursor) so I would like to switch the mouse with another one.  Will
>I need to reboot to get the new mouse configured and working?  I am asking
>because the computer is running a calculation that will take a couple of days
>to complete.  Thank you.

Hi,
    while I havn't experienced it myself, unplugging/plugging in a PS2
mouse while the system is running can cause physical damage to the
motherboard.

    In practice, our three servers run on an old KVM switch which is the
equivalent of yanking the mouse each time we switch over.  When you
remove the mouse X will lose the mouse and will no longer respond to it.
 Assuming the two mice are close enough to work without you changing
your mouse driver, switching from the X session to a virtual terminal
and back will make the system reinitialise the mouse and it should be okay.

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems

Tel +61 7 3857 7899