Fedora, Debian or Gentoo

WipeOut wipe_out at onetel.com
Wed Nov 19 08:17:43 UTC 2003

Steve Withers wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 11:21, Francisco Roldan wrote:
>

>>Hi everydoby,
>>I have been Redhat Linux fan since version 6.
>>When i read the news about Red Hat is not going
>>to release another version (i.e. Red Hat 9.1 or 10),
>>I felt dissapointed at first, but then I realize that
>>this is the only way of this company to survive.
>>I am evaluating moving from Red Hat 9 to other distributions,
>>and almost all my linux-friends advice me to choose
>>Debian or Gentoo (Of course, they have only used these distributions).
>>

>I have used all three.
>
>Fedora/RedHat - quick install, lots of good default decisions made. Good
>device detection and configuration for most things.  Can take some
>configuration to get the servers working together......a fair bit of
>reading is required to set up t a LAMP server (compared to Debian).

While I haven't tried setting up a LAMP server on anoy of the others, I
have always found it to me a piece of cake to do in RH and I am sure
Fedora will be no different.. What did you have to do specifically that
you found made it a problem?

Minimum install, select specific packages apache (or httpd as they call
it now), php, php-mysql, mysql and mysql-server and you are done.. start
apache and mysql and you are ready to rock.. :)

>Bottom line.....if you aren't an experienced Linux user, don't
>experiment in a WORK environment with Debian or Gentoo. Go home...play
>with them....become comfortable with the way they do things and what
>they need......THEN use them at work.

Excellent advice..If unsure, test, test and test again just to make
sure.. At the end of the day everyone must choose the distro that suits
them for their specific needs..