Fedora Hangs on PE 600SC

Hugh McGuirk hugh.mcguirk at propylon.com
Wed Nov 19 12:05:19 UTC 2003

Am testing Fedora on a Dell PE 600SC server.

The machine seems to consistantly hang, when i leave it running for
maybe a day or day and a half.

I saw some other messages on this list relating to "re-exec init", but i
do not see that in /var/log/messages. I see no problems there at all.

I come back to find it with the screen-saver still displaying ( but not
running), and the Caps-lock and Scroll-lock Leds flashing.
It is possible to manually turn the Num-lock led on and off, or press
the reset button. I can ping it ( i think) but thats about it.
There is nothing of interest in /var/log/messages

I thought the Ram chips might be bad, so i tested with MemTest86, and
indeed that did give me errors on upper boundry of the installed RAM.
Testing with Dell's own memory tester showed no problems.

So i thought the Kernel needed to be manually told to use just less than
the actual amount of memory installed. It accepted the "mem=" kernel
parameters i gave it, but the problem still happens.

I tried different memory, from another 600SC, but same problem.

I upgraded the BIOS, but same problem.

RedHat 9 is Dell pre-installed on another 600SC machine we have here, so
i assume RedHat 9 is ok. We have yet to have it turned on for any length
of time either, so im not completely sure there.

I'm about to try Mandrake 9.2 on the problem machine here, just to see
if it has the same problem.

Is there any way to have much more verbose output from the kernel, to
trace through or track down where things stop.

Is there some sort of debug kernel that might help, or tools to
continually monitor what process has control of the CPU, although i
suppose that switches far too fast to be able to log it.

Anyone else see this kind of thing?

Thanks,

--
Hugh McGuirk <hugh.mcguirk at propylon.com>