nvidia 2d performance loss

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 16:40:50 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 11:21, Peter Backlund wrote:
> >>Oops, looks like he built the GLX against the SMP version.
>
> Yes I did, stupid mistake *grumble*, anyway that's fixed in 0.fdr.9,
> available now.
>
> >>No problem, just d/l and rebuild the src.rpm.
>
> That's always an option, and if you're running a custom kernel, it's
> your only option.
>
> >>Warning - you might need to uninstall the previous version, rather than
> >>do an upgrade - mine bombed out with a "signal 11" until I did a clean
> >>install (/devs/nv* maybe? - or maybe the old module trapped in memory?)
>
> Hmm...where did this 'previous version' come from? Rpms from the same
> place? Exactly what caused a signal 11?

Hi Peter, and thanks for your nvidia RPMs :)

The RPM I installed was one of yours ... but I did a version jump from
fdr.3 to fdr.8. Like I said, no problem, nothing I can't handle.

I see the permissions still aren't being set properly on /dev/nv* (not
here anyway - for some reason). I still have to do a chmod 0666 /dev/nv*
otherwise I get permission denied errors running OGL apps as a non-root
user. Once again, nothing I can't handle.

FYI: I've commented out the "<dri>=/dev/nv*" line in
/etc/security/console.perms and uninstalled XFree86-Mesa-libGL.

--
[H]omer