Package Manager Frontend Synaptic

Brian Fahrlander Brian at Fahrlander.net
Wed Nov 19 17:19:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 10:12, Grizzly(Francis Smit) wrote:
> Thomas wrote:
>
> > Hello again,
> >
> > I found a good-looking GUI package manager frontend at
> > http://freshrpms.net/
> > The name of the Frontend is Synaptic. It is based on the rpm version
> > of apt-get, which is also available at freshrpms.
> > Apt-get works well, sadly Synaptic freezes very ofthen.
> >
> > Synapic is available for Redhat for quite a while, i wonder if someone
> > could get it to work stable?
> >

> I tried synaptic, very resource hungry, I think it was the cause of my
> rpmdb corrupting,
> due to dying in the middle of things, if you lack the ram etc to run it
> well, you'd be
> better of giving it a miss

    You guys might be having trouble with what I found: unlike all other
X programs, Synaptic doesn't like running in the background.  It's not
really 'freezing', it's stopping.  Odd- I don't know why it would, but
it does:

    synaptic &  <-- backgrounds it

    synaptic    <-- doesn't.  Try it from an xterm sometime and when it
stops, press return.  You'll see something like "synaptic: stopped
[3024]" or similar.  You can "fg %1" and it'll kick it in the butt again
and probably finish.

    I haven't used the last couple of versions, but many before it had
this problem...I just run it from an xterm and don't background it.
It's a nice project; it doesn't limit me to searching for RPMs but those
silly categories-only.  You can look at it alphabetically, etc.

   Nice program!

Brian Fahrländer                     Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                    http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262