Expanding towards ALSA

Brian Fahrlander Brian at Fahrlander.net
Wed Nov 19 18:44:14 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 12:11, Matthias Saou wrote:

> Believe it or not, I had never heard of alsaconf before! :-) My guess would
> be because it isn't installed by default with "make install"...
> I'll check it out and eventually include it in further alsa-driver
> packages.
>
> In the meantime, there are instructions and links on how to configure
> modules.conf here : http://freshrpms.net/docs/alsa/

    Really?  That's incredible.  It's a fairly simple script; it takes
several readings and guesses at a /etc/modules.conf modification, and it
usually guesses pretty accurately.  It's a really nice thing.

    Under RH8/9 the FreshRPMs versions of Alsa have had alsaconf, but it
had a slightly-broken set of startup scripts. (/etc/rc.d/init.d/asound,
etc).  Nothing big; just a little bug that only makes it iffy the first
time around.

    But I noticed that there's no "tools" RPM on FreshRPMS- there is on
other ones, but the version numbers don't match up, so I didn't want to
risk it.  I thought maybe it was moved to the "utils" RPM, but it's not
in there.

    Someone suggested I rebuild from an SRPM, but that didn't cause it
to magically appear, either. :)  No biggie- I Googled for someone else's
/etc/modules.conf file who also had an SBLive, and it worked on the
first pull.

    Someone else mentioned that it's part of the development tree;
somewhere in the vast collection of files that eventually make it to the
RPM, alsaconf exists, somewhere.  But unfortunately I don't have any
details- I don't dabble in the affairs of kernel drivers- they're quick
to anger and...how's that old line go?

    Thanks!

Brian Fahrländer                     Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                    http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262