up2date and apt-get

Gordon R. Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Wed Nov 19 22:05:40 UTC 2003

    Either one works well, and they do about the same thing.  I think
apt is a bit easier to use when installing new packages and resolving
dependencies, but yum.up2date is the supported tool.  Just don't run
both.  (At different times, of course!)  I found myself in the situation
where up2date choked because apt installed a higher level of a package
than was available via up2date.  It said the package had to be updated,
but failed because the installed version was at a higher level than the
"required" version.  Maybe I'll have to set up two systems so I can use
yum/up2date on one and apt on the other.
    Cheers,
Gordon