Network monitor

Ted Kaczmarek tedkaz at optonline.net
Thu Nov 20 00:21:01 UTC 2003

If the switch/hub does not have an agent and a network address their is
no way you can monitor or discover it.

You could use nmap for discovery of ip nodes, ethereal can also help if
you can track down bpdu(Bridge Protocol Data Units) but that would be
painful. If their are snmp agents and they all have IP addresses, you
can map things out by their bridge tables.

To be able to autmate viewing the switch/hubs interconnections, you
would need an additional LLC layer protocol such as Extreme's EDP,
Foundries FDP or Cisco CDP (HP also uses CDP). And then a piece of
software that can read that data and map it, such as Foundry's Iron
View, Extreme's Extremeware or Cisco's package. I also recall HP rolled
this in to NNM version 6.X as well.

Dam, I am glad I don't need no stinking maps anymore :-)

Ted