can't update mozilla with up2date

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Fri Nov 21 03:26:38 UTC 2003

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Thursday 20 November 2003 20:33, Ken Chamberlain wrote:
>

>>Yes... "up2date --show-orphans" should show you any upgrade leftovers
>>(as well as non-FC1 extras).
>

> Can one safely remove these packages?
> If so, is there anything better than "rpm -e" ?
>
> (I'm not clear if up2date keeps a record of what it does
> separate to rpm's record.)

The up2date --show-orphans feature is pretty decent. The information
pointed only to other sources (Freshrpms, realplayer, etc)

I had problems with up2date installing from my local directory. I
downloaded the 1.5-1 version of mozilla into a local directory (included
in listing of /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources )

What happened when I ran up2date was that only three rpms were installed
for mozilla. Mail was not installed. I also tried running rpm -Uvh
mozilla*.rpm and it did not install the additional rpms. If I installed
the 1.5-1 versioned  rpms individually, with rpm -U <packagename>, it
installed alright.

Is there a change with rpm so that rpm -Uvh <packagename> doesn't
install available programs?

Why would grouped rpms, like with mozilla remove prior installed rpms,
but not reinstall the upgraded version? Is this a problem with the rpm
structures, up2date with local directories or the rpm, (the program).

I am just confused with the behavior exhibited. Installing the desired
rpms manually was not that difficult.

Jim

--
Your nature demands love and your happiness depends on it.