kernel: eth0: Host error, FIFO diagnostic register XXXX - Old Bug??

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Fri Nov 21 04:42:29 UTC 2003

Doug wrote:
> OK, have user RH 7.3, 8.0 and 9.0 never had this issue. I have a 3com
> 3c905B-TX card and never had an issue. After install can not bring up
> eth0. In the logs it shows the following,
>
> kernel: eth0: Host error, FIFO diagnostic register 2000
> kernel: eth0: PCI bus error, bus status 00880029
>
> Googling I find only a couple of references to this and they are old on
> this card. Looks like they fixed it and now it is pooping up again. No
> one ever really did give a solution other then to buy a new card. This
> card has been rock solid and has never given me an issue. Is there a
> quick fix?
>
> Doug

My card was messed up also with the post-RHL9 distributions/betas. I
have heard that rhgb can cause the NIC to malfunction (rhgb is new to
post RHL9, makes some sense).

Also, I have heard that disabling kudzu on startup prevents the fouled
up NIC card.

I hope they fix the problem soon. My Ethernet card worked great from RHL
5.2 until the first beta.

Jim

--
You will inherit millions of dollars.