automatic root login, gdm

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Fri Nov 21 06:36:41 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 23:03, Lewi wrote:
> how do I allow root login automatic from gdm,
> because I think in office that I installed fedora will be more easily,
> than type root password when getting some system configuration(like add printer or something else)

/me takes a deep breath...calm comes over my way.

In a nutshell:  the reason for that is so Linux does not become Windows.

What you are proposing may sound good at the moment, but just wait until
you get all the extra support calls because everyone can (and trust me,
if they can, they will) become root at will.

If you do this, you will have opened up a security hole you will not be
able to plug.  Do yourself (and the reputation of Linux) a favor and
"Just Say No".

Seriously, though, one of the major reasons that Windows has so much
trouble with security problems is because it does not have a truly
isolated administrative account.  The reason that Linux (and other
Unix-like systems) do not have the kind of trouble that Windows does, is
because you do not allow users to run with super-user privileges all the
time.

> I try in gdm-config, that automatic login only allow uid > 500 ?

That is to prevent you from opening up such a huge security hole.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Instructor