VNC Server

listas at lozano.eti.br listas at lozano.eti.br
Fri Nov 21 20:56:42 UTC 2003

Willian,

> > It's much better for the user to setup vnc sessions from xinetd and use
> > gdm, kdm or xdm to provide the standard login screen.
>
> Except of course you loose the major benefit of having a persistent
> desktop running when you aren't connected.
>
> There are places for using VNC via xinetd, but I wouldn't call it "much
> better" for all cases.

You're right. :-) It was implicit by the original message that the user wanted
to get his own desktop. Using xinetd/gdm you the the standard fedore login
screen, with gnome/kde and language options.

But using xinetd has other benefits, such as having any number of vnc sessions
without having to start these sessions at boot, or having to ssh first to start
the vncserver.

[]s, Fernando Lozano