Mail server problems

Michael Sullivan msulli1355 at tulsacoxmail.com
Fri Nov 21 23:00:22 UTC 2003

I'm having a problem accessing the pop3 port on my server.  The server
on a computer named bullet at 192.168.1.4 .  The computer I am trying
to  access bullet from is named baby and my user account is michael.
I've tried telnetting from baby to bullet on port 110 from baby, but it
says Connection refused.  Yet if I ssh over to bullet and telnet from
there, I can get port 110 no problem.  I used
redhat-config-securitylevel to make sure that bullet accepted telnet
requests, and it does.  I've included the screen dump of my efforts
below.  What am I doing wrong???
-Michael Sullivan-

[michael at baby michael]$ telnet 192.168.1.4
Trying 192.168.1.4...
Connected to bullet.espersunited.com (192.168.1.4).
Escape character is '^]'.
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
Kernel 2.4.20-20.9 on an i586
login:
telnet> quit
Connection closed.
[michael at baby michael]$ telnet 192.168.1.4 110
Trying 192.168.1.4...
[michael at baby michael]$ ssh 192.168.1.4
michael at 192.168.1.4's password:
[michael at bullet michael]$ telnet 192.168.1.4 110
Trying 192.168.1.4...
Connected to 192.168.1.4.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK POP3 bullet.espersunited.com v2001.78rh server ready
^]

telnet> quit
Connection closed.
[michael at bullet michael]$