NVIDIA driver compile

Peter Kiem zordah at zordah.net
Mon Nov 24 23:29:30 UTC 2003

> 2)  Everyone who has done some _serious_ software building will tell you
> that compiling from a tar ball is highly unreliable.  configure will

Rubbish.  SRPMS **ARE** basically packaged tarballs inside!

I've built from SRPMS, tarballs and even tarballs to create an RPM and no
one way is more reliable than the others.  I've had problems with all
methods but mostly no problems either way.

> 3) Last but not least when I build from an SRPM I get an RPM.  I don't

Yes I normally prefer RPMs as well but I prefer to get my video drivers
from the source instead of a 3rd party who I don't know or trust.

> BTW, building the Nvidia RPM is trivial, you have just to turn off the
> build of a debug RPM

BTW, building the nVidia drivers following the instructions from nVidia is
trivial too!

The only gotcha was the "export CC=gcc32" but other than that it was
follow the bouncing ball material.

I was pointing out to the original poster who couldn't get the tarball
from nVidia to compile the steps required rather than having to go
elsewhere.

--
Regards,
       My current spamtrap address is est1103 at zordah.net