USB card reader

Greg Wildman rhlist at itns.co.za
Tue Nov 25 05:31:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 02:58, James Drabb wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 19:13, Scott Burns wrote:
> >
> >     In my experience, if the hotplug code finds it, it also mounts it
> > automagically.
>
> Really?  Did you have to do anything special to get it to auto mount?  I
> have never seen RH8, RH9 or FC1 auto mount any of my USB mass-storage
> devices.  When I plug in my mass-storage digital camera, the
> mass-storage module is loaded, but that is all.  When I put a smart
> media card into my PCMCIA reader, again the modules are loaded but
> /dev/hde1 is never mounted, the same goes for a USB thumb drive and my
> mass-storage MP3 recorder/player.  Is there anyway to turn this feature
> on?  I had to make the entries in /etc/fstab and then I right click on
> the Gnome desktop and mount what I want under the disks menu.  I did
> notice that Mandrake auto mounts these devices, is there any reason that
> FC1 does not?
>
> Jim Drabb

This is what I needed to do for my USB camera. I have a FujiFilm FinePix
2600.

Step 1: tail the log.

'tail -f /var/log/messages' and plugin the camera. This is what I get in
the log.

kernel:   Vendor: Fujifilm  Model: FinePix 1400Zoom  Rev: 0100
kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sdc at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun
0

Step 2: create entry in /etc/updfstab.conf.

If you device is "recognised" by the entries in
/etc/updfstab.conf.default then you are in luck and it will
automatically update /etc/fstab for you. If not, like me, then you need
to create your oen entry. I added the following to /etc/updfstab.conf

device camera {
    partition 1
    match   hd Fujifilm
}

Step 3: mount the sucker.

Unplug the camera wait a few seconds and plug it in again. check out
/etc/fstab and there should be a new entry for /mnt/camera. I simply
right-click on the Gnome desktop -> Disks -> camera.

You and also type it manually if need be:  'mount /mnt/camera'

--
Greg
--

Greg.

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors