Can't find advanced Gnome settings on FC1, what happened?

Iain Buchanan iain at pcorp.com.au
Tue Nov 25 07:21:24 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 16:11, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Iain Buchanan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 12:41, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> >
> > > What "advance settings"?  The GNOME developers have been mostly working
> > > on software that "just works" rather than sofware with a million
> > > configuration options.
> >
> > Which is the worst decision they ever made (IMHO :)  What if I love
> > being able to customise the hell out of everything?
>
> Then you are not a part of GNOME's target audience, and you should use
> something else.  That is why options exist.  KDE, for instance, has a
> plethora of options for every aspect of the desktop I can think of.

Perhaps I'm still hanging on from when I was a part of gnomes target
audience!

> > By far the best desktop I have ever used was gnome on redhat 7.3 +
> > ximian.  Efficient, intuitive, customisable, excellent!
>
> Perhaps it's time to try other options.  KDE has a large following for a
> reason.  XFCE is also a wonderful desktop.  You might find that you
> enjoy one of them.

Last time I tried KDE, I came into many things I couldn't customise.
Maybe I just didn't know enough about it.  I'll try again when I have
some more time.  No doubt many people here would be willing to help me
make the transition ;-)  Can you use the same window
borders/icons/themes with kde or is that a specific gnome thing?

--
Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp.nospam.com.au>

In every non-trivial program there is at least one bug.