raise window on-click

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Tue Nov 25 07:42:19 UTC 2003

Iain Buchanan wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 13:18, Rob Park wrote:
>> BUT, sometimes I DO want to
>>raise the window, and it's *so* much easier to be able to click anywhere
>>than to be restricted to the title bar. I find it very annoying that I
>>have to click in that one tiny little spot.
>
> Sometimes the title bar is completely hidden.  Then what?  Try to use
> the slightly buggy keyboard shortcuts to raise the correct window?  What
> if I have 10 mozilla windows open? Which one is the right one?  The one
> I'm pointing at, but can't raise...

Well, any window border will do. Also, ALT+clicking (to "move" the
window), without actually dragging the window anywhere, seems to
raise/focus windows, too. It's a bother to have to hold down ALT, though.

>> There seems to be a
>>bug where if I move change workspaces too quickly, the newly pointed-at
>>window won't get the focus, and clicking on it won't give it focus, I
>>actually have to go to the trouble of moving my mouse off the window and
>>then back on, which is very tiresom since this happens CONSTANTLY.
>
> I've found this too.  It used to be rare in shrike, but now it happens
> all the time.  Apart from the cause you mentioned, if virtual desktop
> 'a' is active, and the mouse is in the screen coordinates of a window on
> v. desktop 'b', when you use a keyboard shortcut to change to v. desktop
> 'b', the mouse is 'already' in that window, so it doesn't get the
> mouse-in focus.

Hmmm, I'm not noticing that. I just tried flipping between desktops with
the keyboard, and as far as I can tell, the window under the mouse is
focussed when the desktop changes. It's just when I use the Workspace
Switcher, if I move the mouse off of it and onto a window (after
changing desks) too quickly, that window will not get focus. ALT+click
will focus/raise it, but normal clicking has no effect, only on the
title bar. What a pain!

>>Actually, now that I'm ranting about it anyway, GNOME really needs a
>>"focus strictly under mouse" mode, not "focus follows mouse, poorly" as
>>is currently implemented. There's nothing I hate more than writing an
>>email, and having some error dialog box pop up, but disappear too
>>quickly to read because I was typing, it stole my focus, and I pressed
>>the space bar, which selected the default action. That dialog box,
>>whatever it was, just did something that I might not have wanted it to
>>do, and it might be irreversible, and I might never know what it was.
>>That drives me nuts.
>
> That happens sooo much I could scream.  But then this seems like an
> os-independent problem.  I like your "strict focus" idea though.

KDE has it, IIRC. When you choose the focus model, you can pick "sloppy
focus", "focus follows mouse", "focus strictly under mouse", or "click
to focus". I've never been entirely sure what the difference between
sloppy focus and focus-follows-mouse is, but focus-strictly-under-mouse
is awesome. Newly created windows never get the focus, the focus is
always where you put it, etc. I just love it :)

Bah, I'll probably switch to KDE 3.2 when it's released (older KDE
releases are ugly, IMHO, which is why I'm not using them to begin with).