raise window on-click

Joshua Penix jpenix at binarytribe.com
Tue Nov 25 09:26:42 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 23:54, Rob Park wrote:

> How can anybody presume to know what's best for me? The ideal solution
> is always to let the user configure the software to their own liking.
> This is the entire reason that I use Linux in the first place! If I
> wanted some programmer somewhere to make unchangeable UI decisions for
> me, I'd install Windows XP.

I think the thing you're forgetting is that Metacity isn't inextricably
linked to Gnome.  When someone suggests "change window managers" they
aren't suggesting you go over to KDE - they mean keep using Gnome but
change window managers to one that acts how you want.  Another list
member noted that he moved to XFCE.  Guess what - XFCE's window manager
works just wonderfully in a Gnome environment.  Kill Metacity, fire up
xfwm and off you go with many more customization options.

> > If you want to be able to customise things further, install a different
> > window manager.
>
> GLADLY! *sigh*
>
> Sorry for my rant, please don't be offended, I'm just upset that your
> goals seem to be restricting choice as much as possible. That's just absurd.

The goals are to make the default installation of Gnome as clean and
simple as possible, hence the decision to standardize on Metacity.  An
expert with other window handling preferences can easily switch out
Metacity as I noted above.

--Josh