BIND basics

Carsten carsten at ya.com
Tue Nov 25 10:41:39 UTC 2003

Dear all,

I am just trying to understand BIND. I would like my DNS-Server to
resolve it's own name. Is that possible or do I have to put it into
/etc/hosts?
A ping to kutter.carsten.peters.name (see zone file below) doesn't work
either. Why?

- hostname of my machine: caluta.carsten.peters.name
- IP address: 192.168.1.3
- /etc/nsswitch.conf
- hosts: files dns
- /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
- /etc/resolv.conf:
nameserver 192.168.1.3
nameserver 194.179.1.100 #ISP's DNS

DNS caching-only running and working.
Then I added a zone to the end of /etc/named.conf
Here is the whole file:
===
// generated by named-bootconf.pl
//
// a caching only nameserver config
//
#include "/etc/rndc.key";
options {
        /*
         * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
         * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
         * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
         * port by default.
         */
        // query-source address * port 53;
        directory "/var/named";
};
controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
};
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};
zone "localhost" {
        allow-update { none; };
        type master;
        file "localhost.zone";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        allow-update { none; };
        type master;
        file "named.local";
};
zone "carsten.peters.name" {
        type master;
        file "carsten.peters.name.zone";
};
===

Here is the new zone file:
===
$TTL 86400
caluta.carsten.peters.name.     IN      SOA     carsten.peters.name
root    (
                                5 ; serial
                                28800 ; refresh
                                14400 ; retry
                                3600000 ; expire
                                86400 ; ttl
                                )
caluta  IN      NS      192.168.1.3
caluta          IN      A       192.168.1.3
kutter          IN      A       192.168.1.2
===

--
Saludos, Carsten

"Las instrucciones decían "instalar Windows XP/2000 o superior"...
             ...pues instalé Linux!"