Evolution + files on a file server?

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Tue Nov 25 16:15:05 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 15:06, Justin P. Steiger wrote:
> I'm a noob, therefore I "reinstall" a LOT .. I use Evolution for the
> most part, but I'm really getting sick of having to fwd all the e-mailI
> receive to an online e-mail account when I get ready to install again.
>
> How do I go about making Evolution seek it's files and folders from my
> file server machine (XP)? At work we use Outlook and it seeks everything
> from a central location so no matter the machine you end up up, you can
> get your e-mail.

Evolution stores part of the configuration files and all the mail inside
the $HOME/evolution directory. You can move all those files to an
external file server (either NFS or SAMBA) and then make a symbolic
link. But doing so will leave some other configuration options on your
local machine. Evolution also stores date alongside other GNOME
applications, more concretely inside $HOME/.gconf, $HOME/.gconfd and
$HOME/.gnome2.

I think that, however, the easiest approach is to store your whole user
profile directory ($HOME) on a remote file server, for example.