clean install hangs system

Remco remco.veldkamp at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 25 23:12:31 UTC 2003

Hello,

After installing Core 1 and booting for the first time I get stuck with the
login screen which doesn't respond to the keyboard (I didn't install X so
this is a console login).

After a while this error appears:

eth0: Host error, FIFO diagnostic register 2000.
eth0: PCI bus error, bus status 00a00029

This error appears whenever I ping the machine from another box or when I just
wait a while.

When I shutdown, remove the nic (a 3Com PCI 3c905 Boomerang) and reboot the
same login freezes but I don't get the eth0 error.

Also, at boot-up, no error messages are generated and all services start-up
cleanly (all green OKs).

I understand that the eth0 error is caused by the system failing somewhere
else, however I get little feedback otherwise (no other errors). Moreover, I
tried running the install cd in rescue mode but it crashed spitting out a
nasty run-time error (some libs couldn't be found) so I have to figure out a
way to get at the logs.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I'll be going through my cds looking for
something to use as a rescue kit ;-)

regards,

Remco
-----