raise window on-click

Iain Buchanan iain at pcorp.com.au
Tue Nov 25 23:27:20 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 17:07, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Iain Buchanan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 16:03, Gordon Messmer wrote:
[snip]

> > What do you think of the strict focus idea?
>
> I think it's a bad idea to a bigger problem.
>
> I have nothing against the behavior.  You should use it if you like it.
>   However, you'll probably find it easier to install WindowMaker and use
> it as your GNOME WM than to convince Havoc to implement another focus
> method in Metacity.
>
> As a solution, it ignores the entire issue that under a default
> configuration, users *are* going to miss alert-style dialogs if they're
> typing when the dialog pops up.

not really, the idea being the alert dialog still appears on top, but
the focus remains where the mouse is pointing: the window you're typing
in.  Then its seen as soon as you look up (which is all the time if
you're me).  The only problem is to make sure the dialog doesn't pop up
under the mouse.
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp.nospam.com.au>

The last time somebody said, "I find I can write much better with a word
processor.", I replied, "They used to say the same thing about drugs."
		-- Roy Blount, Jr.