Samba and Fedora Core 1

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 23:36:36 UTC 2003

Jim Cornette (redhat-jc at insight.rr.com) said:
> What major breakthroughs were introduced between RHL9 and the first Beta
> for Fedora that deal with connectivity through the ethernet port?

We keep better track of ethernet devices by tying physical PCI cards
to their hardware address; this is done with ethtool. Apparently
something in kudzu's quick 'load module; query with ethtool ; query
for hardware address' cycle on 3c59x makes the driver/card very
upset. It's not clear at all *why* this is happening, though.

Bill