mplayer plugin for mozilla in fc1

Clint clint at pt3newtech.org
Wed Nov 26 00:23:11 UTC 2003

I'm not able to view movies using mplayer's plugin in Mozilla. I am
however, able to view them off-line using mplayer. Here's what I've done:

dowloaded the source mplayerplug-in-1.0pre2.tar.gz
logged in as root
tar -xzvf mplayerplug-in-1.0pre2.tar.gz
cd mplayerplug-in
./configure
make
cp mplayerplug-in.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
restarted mozilla

I did verify that mplayerplug-in.so is in the plugins directory:

[clint at localhost plugins]$ ls
libflashplayer.so     mozplugger.so      raclass.zip
libjavaplugin_oji.so  mplayerplug-in.so  rpnp.so
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mozilla shows that it has the mplayer plugin when I open the About
Plugins in Mozilla:

mplayerplug-in v1.0pre2 handles QuickTime Windows Media Player Plugin

     File name: mplayerplug-in.so
     Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime and Windows Media Player streams
using mplayer

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
video/quicktime 	Quicktime 	mov 	Yes
video/x-quicktime 	Quicktime 	mov 	Yes
video/quicktime 	Quicktime 	mp4 	Yes
[...many more lines deleted...]

but when I visit http://www.apple.com/trailers/ to try to view any of
the Quicktime trailers, a white box opens and a text message says:

mplayerplug-in
Playing http://a772.g.akamai.net/(blah blah blah)

and the video doesn't ever start.

This is on a FC1 machine upgraded from RH9.

If anyone has any ideas for what to try or sites that describe how to
solve the problem, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Clint
--
Clint <Clint at PT3Newtech.org>